The blog has now moved!

Sunday, February 05, 2006

14 Hours, so a question - Saturday

Yes, it took over 14 hours this week. However, you don't want to hear about that so I've already come up with a question for you to puzzle over. Firstly you will need to look at some pictures. This is my subwoofer This is my desk This is my bed This is my desk/bed Now, the sub is about 4-5 meters away from that corner. It is also blocked by a big wooden desk. When I listen to music I am seated on a chair in front of my desk. When I lie in my bed, or at least when my head is under 50cm from the corner, the bass is very much amplified. I have scientifically proven this by playing a constantly bassy track and moving around my bed. The question is why does this happen, how to make it happen at my desk and also, is there enough padding beneath the speaker? Also, no news on the australian guy. We're assuming that he won't be on next week either.

Random bit of news for the day I listen to the IMG podcast. I was gutten when a massive letter I sent in wasn't answered. I re-sent it in to make sure it'd gotten in and they said that they had no reader email. They have now (after another email) said that my email arrived after they recorded the show. They would have read it this week but they ran out of time. This means that I'm expecting a mention in next week's IMG podcast :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Your desk is kinda messy with all the wires and stuff. You should get some zip ties or twisty-ties and do some organizing. ;)

Anonymous said...

You're room is pink! I want your room!

Brett Jordan said...

sub-audio bass is all about moving air, you don't hear proper bass, you feel it... looking at the box you have, it is probably less of a subwoofer, and more of a woofer... it won't be moving much air, more likely producing some mid level sine waves that your ears can just about detect, and which vibrate the floor enough to cause low level vibrations around the room... that's why the lower you are, the more you can hear it

you might want to experiment with moving it away from the wall by about a foot, to allow some air to move around it, or moving it around the room... the science is all a bit arbitrary, but huge changes can be made with small positional adjustments... maybe lie the box on its side?

for more stuff on the science of sine waves and various other subwoofery, visit

http://www.ajdesigner.com/

http://www.kevinboone.com/PF_subwoofer.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subwoofer

or i'll pay you a visit in my previa to give you a practical demonstration of what a proper subwoofer does :0)

Teifion said...

I'll experiment with moving it around a little then, thanks for the advice.