The blog has now moved!

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Don't look like a Geek - Friday

First thing of the morning, get up nice and early for my math test. It went really really well. I answered all questions, didn't rush, couldn't find anything that I'd have made a mistake on and double checked that I'd included things like adding "+c" at the end of integration. So, if I get bad marks on it I'll be confused. I got the bus back to Langstone (almost missed it, it was pretty close) and sat down to do some WoA stuff. I've been working on some new teams for a special thing that we're trying and they're now complete. If you play WoA and don't know where they are, well, they'll become linked to on Saturday. After a nice lunch of noodles I went back into Uni. The ECE KTG had a meeting. And by meeting I mean that myself and someone else turned up. This was expected and quite okay (it's a small room). I'm going to be working on the front end of a site for a "Consultancy in Automotive Eletronics and Wireless Communications Systems". During the chat, I made a comment about Lisa doing a site in Dreamweaver. It was probably something along the lines of "Phhhp, that's a rubbish way to do it, cool people use a text-editor". David then said "You don't look like a Geek, but the way you talk about computers and the types of things you know, you are a Geek". He didn't mean it in a harsh way at all and I wasn't insulting Lisa, I'm pretty sure she knew that. I thought it interesting, yes I know I'm a geek, but I didn't realise I look completely unlike one. Seeing as we can't charge (under University rules) we need a cunning plan to get money from the people. David has a cunning plan, we do what they first outline (about 5-8 pages). Then when they ask for more we ask how much money they'd like to donate. David has a lot of sense and doesn't let the people meet us students until that stage because they'll try to take advantage of us and also not listen to feedback we give (some of the ideas they have are rubbish). After the chat I got the bus back and then finnished that WoA stuff that I mentioned earlier. Dinner was very good today, I managed to hide Jack's pudding and he never noticed until it came to time to eat pudding (he's a bit slow sometimes). After dinner I played some Marathon and then, at almost 1900 I went back to the kitchens. I got three massive Cumberland sausages (now have two left) for the weekend. They just let me take them because they were left-over. And it was Tom's day off! The evening was spent starting work on the website for this guy and talking to a gentleman about people not wanting to go to Uni. Why anybody'd not want to go to University is beyond me, it's an excellent time and so far 99% of the people I've seen have agreed with me.

Dealing with people that don't know what they want I've been giving some tips for dealing with people as it says in HWFIP. What tips would you give for dealing with people that have none or little clue about something, yet are telling you what they want in it (such as web-design, one guy gave us a pantone colour conversion because he wanted to act like he knew what he was talking about)

6 comments:

Major Look said...

Dreamweaver is the industry standard package for web design, so maybe 'you' should look into learning it a bit more?

Combined with your knowledge of HTML and PHP etc, it should then be a real sinch for you to then create killer websites?

Teifion said...

There is nothing at all wrong with Dreamweaver, but when you start using PHP you pretty much HAVE to know how to write HTML by hand.

I also have no problems with other people using Dreamweaver, like I said, it was a comment made in jest. I prefer writing with a text editor rather than Dreamweaver or GoLive for the following reasons.

1: I get full control of how it all goes in, with dreamweaver it'll do it it's own way
2: It's faster, both to write and also for running on the 400MHz chip
3: The above mentioned PHP reason
4: Copy and Paste is actually better with raw HTML as you can change the styling in the new text more easily, but this isn't a big thing.
5: Any kind of "How to do this" will have HTML code of something, so rather than puzzling it out in Dreamweaver (even if there's a dreamweaver part of the page) I get to just copy and paste to the relevent section of my page.

Anonymous said...

you do look and sound like a geek ti. Like comeon you know yourself your a geek.

and if you dont. then you must be blind and deaf.

Teifion said...

I always did think I looked and sounded a geek, just thought it interesting that someone said otherwise :)

And someone posting as anonymous because they don't want to reveal their identity, well, that's not geekish at all, nooooo, not at all....

Note: The 2nd paragraph was sarcasm

Anonymous said...

i am never slow, only when it comes to taking puddings!
Jack

Anonymous said...

yeaaassss i really didnt want you to know my identity.. go suck an egg mate. You think everything is about you mate. I dont think anyone would consider me a geek dude. You are a geek nothing particualry wrong in it. but you are

saracasm is a useful tool.. but it can get old realll fast. Hence why you get old realll fast.