The blog has now moved!

Monday, March 13, 2006

Answers - Sunday

I got up in time to do some WoA stuff, including finding out that the Australian guy is feeling a little better and isn't dead or anything like that, so that's a good start to the day. The morning service looked at family trees and wasn't the easiest thing to follow. After the service I asked Johnathan some questions. It would have been the questions asked on Thursday but Lizzie forgot her notebook and I forgot some of them. However, what I could remember was answered by either Lawrence or Johnathan. For someone that says he's "Not very bright" Lawrence is very smart. Me: What happened to Jesus when he died, if he was a sinner then he'd have gone to hell? Lawrence: Before going anywhere you are judged, and as Jesus was blameless he would have gone to heaven Me: How can we be sure that Jesus wasn't the son of the Devil trying to trick us? Lawrence: Angels cannot create anything, only God can. As the Devil is an angel, he can't have a son so Jesus must be either a Man or the Son of God Sadly, either because of the type of question or his inexeriance with such questions, Johnathan doesn't give the best answers. He put them in somewhat better words than here. Me: If God can't have anything to do with Sin, and Jesus was also God, how could he have accepted the Sin of the world onto him? Johnathan: All through life people have tried to find metaphors to explain the father-son-holy spirit area, and none of them suffice. I can't really give you an answer here sorry. Me: If God is omnipotent, why did he take 6 days to make the world and need a day of rest? Surely he could have made it in an instant? Johnathan: He could have, but he chose not to. The only thing I can think of is that 6 days of work and a day of rest is a very good arrangement for humans, if you try to work 7 days a week you don't last long. From this I thought (though Johnathan did spark the idea off) of a sort of lesson that'd be worth applying to religion. "All through life we go around accepting things, such as how a washing up liquid enzymes work, how a computer works, why those things happen. Sometimes in Religion we don't know the answer and we just have to accept it." After the service we went round to Phoebe's house (it's her Birthday) and had a BBQ. I'd gotten her a massive load of Chocolate (thanks for the suggestion Brierley). The BBQ was very good, though it was a bit chilly. Afterwards we went to the beach and played a single game of Capture the Flag, made some (rather rubbish) human pyramids and generally got very cold. I think that "Stuff" (We've got so many Steve's that I'm calling them nicknames, this one is the new Presedent, name suggested by Lizzie) got frostbite. On the way back from the beach, Steve H drove past beeping his horn loudly, so I sprinted back to the house and beat him back. In the evening we played various games around the table and I suggested my potato idea. The evening service finnished off the story of Esther and had a very biblical message. Part 1 doesn't apply to me in the normal way though part 2 does apply compeltely. 1 - It shows that perseverance will produce victory through God. For me, I'm going to take it as that I need to persevere more often 2 - It shows that we need to be reminded of past events and not forget them. For me, that tells me that I need to think back about where I've done well and done badly, then change my methods to solve the problem. After getting back to my room I didn't do a lot of stuff, mostly WoA and PHP. Well, it's been a long day and I get to have a lie in tomorrow. I've got a cunning plan for tomorrow's CU which'll be lots of fun to write about :)

Roses and Potatoes When you give someone a Rose, as far as I can see you're saying the following "Roses are very pretty on the outside, you are very pretty on the outside, it won't last long, but it's what I like about you". Now, a Potato, "This is a Potato, it's full of goodness and will last me a good bit of time. It's what's inside that I care about. I like your personality". For some reason the ladies disagreed with my logic (not sure why), though some of them at least like the idea behind it, still, if I were trying to woo them then they'd rather a rose.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

um the rose thing
Its not necessarily saying that the lady is beautiful
You're more saying by giving a rose that roses are pretty, roses are expensive, roses smell nice. You deserve expensive, pretty, aromatic gifts.
Now if you give someone a potato you could be considered to be saying you deserve cheap, muddy, brown things that leave white goo everywhere when you use them

Unknown said...

*Scratches head* I'm not really sure you phrased your questions very well. Either that or because of your (excuse the term, I don't mean it in a derogatory way) ignorance in Christianity they are not the greatest of questions. If you would like to hear the answer I would give feel free to ask me. You can give those guys my MSN if you like. I wouldn't mind having a chat with them.

Anonymous said...

How can we be sure that Jesus wasn't the son of the Devil trying to trick us?

Another answer to this is, How could he have driven out the Demons from people if He was one of them, and why would they have cowered in fear from Him.
Mark 1:21 - 25 shows him driving out an evil spirit. The spirit admits to knowing who he is 'The Holy one of God' and is afraid of Him but has no choice but to obey Him.

People in that time did wonder if Jesus was trying to trick them and drive out demons because He was one. Jesus said in Mark 3:22 - 30
'If a kingdom is divided against itself it cannot stand, if a house is divided against itself it cannot stand and if Satan opposes himself and is divided , he cannot stand, his end has come'

This is just one part of evidence for Jesus being the Christ and not the son of the Devil.

Teifion said...

to anonymous, okay, how about a rose stuck in a potato?

AJ: I did summise the questions and answers a little to fit them onto the blog, I'll be happy to chat to you over MSN about them

Deneise: They showed me the exact same verses when explaining, I just managed to forget about them.

Anonymous said...

why did it take God 6 days to make the world? Well dude God's time isnt linear, it would be stupid to think that God has to abide by the laws of time. Theory of relatively dude. When your knocked out your out and you wake up within seconds, BUT hours have probaly passed.

6 days is just a time scale that we can understand and in a way poetic.

As for did Jesus go to hell. Yes he did then after 3 days he rose again. But different denominations will tell you different.

How we can be sure he aint the son of the devil? The devil cant perform miracles as such. The devil could heal a man, but once he leaves the man gets sick again. Jesus healed many men and they didnt get sick again. Thats the differents between a miracle of God and a miracle of the devil.

I hope that explains things but iuf you have any other burning questions, please do ask me! I'll give you all the answers you want.

cheers

duane

Anonymous said...

It's not that I'm clever Tei, It's just that I have a very simple view of the world- complicated things give me a head ache

Unknown said...

Im confused, where did this idea that Jesus went to hell come from. Or for that matter that all sinners go to hell?

Teifion said...

God judges, and sinners go to hell, however, the idea is that Christians are protected by Christ and as such pass judgement. The logic I was using was that since he took the sin of the world upon himself, he was a sinner. And sinners go to hell, hence, Jesus went to hell.

Anonymous said...

Jesus was separated from God
That's all we know
I would say that heaven is being with God and hell is being completely separate from God, therefore personally I would say that Jesus went to hell
Not sure whether heaven and hell are physical places, so am slightly confused

Anonymous said...

the answers to those questions are complete crap. religion was made up to fill in the gaps between science.

Anonymous said...

Even though I find the wording rather harsh and tactless, I tend to agree with this last comment. That's my cartesian mind I guess. Only believe what I see. And actually... even if I witnessed something I couldn't understand... I wouldn't think of it as an act of god... simply as something our mind cannot understand...yet. We only use something like 8 or 10% of the capacity of our brain.