The blog has now moved!

Monday, November 07, 2005

Achtung, Puncture! - Monday - 7th of Novemember

The day started early, a nice 0900 lecture, this time the person turned up. Apparently I've got to do a 5 minute talk, along with 3 minutes of questions presentation on a subject. I think I'll be choosing WoA, I think I'm qualified to talk about it... After my second lecture I sat, chatted to some people and showed someone to their next lecture (they had no idea where it was and I managed to attend it by mistake on the first week). I decided to go home, of the horror, I had a puncture, I spent a while fixing it, here's the run down of how long everything took (approximatly) Walking Home - 1 hour Taking both wheels off bike and getting everything ready - 10 minutes Taking out rear inner-tube and leaving both wheels in the shower - 10 minutes Patching inner-tube - 15 minutes (I had to apply two patches, it was a couple of holes) Using a wire brush and hot water to scrape the muck off my wheels - 1 hour Break and more shower time - 30 minutes Oiling of the rest of the bike - 10 minutes Placing inner-tube back into wheel and waiting to double check it was fixed - 30 minutes Putting bike back together - 10 minutes Total - 3 Hours and 55 Minutes (approximatly) On the flip side my brakes are a little better and my bike wheels are now silver, not a grimy, oily black. The CU meeting at St Lukes was okay, I arrived early to help with the sound stuff. Afterwards we went to the Pub, I sat down and chatted for a while, the real enjoyment however came later. I walked back to Sarah's car with Sarah, Briley and Lorna. Yes, I've just realised that I spelt her name wrong all this time, I'm very sorry (I don't think she actually reads this so I'm okay....). Anyhoo, the fun part. After getting back to Sarah's car I proposed a race back to Langstone, I told them it'd be fair as there was no traffic to slow them down. My advantage was that they were in a car park, I managed to find a shortcut out. They overtook me at the last leg of the journey, BUT, they were breaking the speedlimit, my guess is that I was going a 20-25mph and to overtake in the space of two secodns required a speed of 40mph minimum. The limit there is 30 and it's not a wide road..... However, I count myself as winning because they couldn't find a parking space and they should have thought of that before taknig the car (okay, it's more of a moral victory). Next time, next time ladies....

Lesson of the Day - It's worth spending time to fix stuff like Punctures

1 comments:

Major Look said...

Glad your wheels are now shiny ;-)