The blog has now moved!

Sunday, October 29, 2006

No, I do NOT have a sensitive side - Sunday

I got up, went to Church, well, started going to Church and instead went to #10 to get a lift from Steve. I could not be bothered to walk today, I was slightly worn out from yesterday. While the rest of them dawdled about where to sit I simply went and say near the other students (coincidentally all ladies). For some odd reason nobody came and sat in the two spaces next to me, Ceryn said this might be because I smell, acutally that's not the full story, I said it might be because I smell and she agreed it was probably that. The service was on Bible Translations. Specifically about the TNIV and NIV. The TNIV's main failing is that it replaces almost every single masculine reference (such as "man", "brother", "father") with something neutral (such as "person", "friend", "parent"). This may not sound that bad until you take into account that it doesn't do it to all of them, thus creating some confusion. Worse yet, in the New Testement, several of the writers quote the Old Testement. In the TNIV they quote the NIV reference, thus making the Bible inconsistent. It gets worse, due to the wording in Hebrews 2:17 of the TNIV it's possible to say that Jesus was bisexual. I don't really think I'll be getting a TNIV, infact, a lot of book stores have refused to sell it! If you want to see more about it, Jonathan gave us the links http://www.genderneutralbibles.com/seven.php and http://www.phoenixseminary.edu/Default.aspx?tabid=223. After the service we went to the Thatched House and had some food outside in the sun. It was very nice and after the meal we tried to put ice-cubes down each other's backs. It was good fun. I got back home and spent a very little while working on WoA and then had to see some people about Christianity Explored. I got there early to help setup but there really was nothing to setup, so I sat and talked to Richard Priddy. He is enjoying his placement and it was nice to talk to someone who is as interested in programming as me. There was free food (I was there to help spread the gospel, honest!) and I had my fair share. As we drew the meal part to a close, the following happened. Matt: If anybody wants to get any more food, there's still some left Me: Can I take some home in a doggy bag? *lots of laughter* Matt: If you can find one, yes So, I went up to the counter, got Richard a pint of water and asked for a doggy bag. I later (to much laughter) emptied a decent ammount of food into it. There was no pudding, which means I really should have brought Toffee Squares along. My Mum made some for me and I was given them yesterday (I'm sorry, I forgot to mention them on the blog) and they'd really have been very nice (there were some nice Christian ladies there too, Toffee Squares are better than Chocolate by a long way!), however, this does mean I can save them for the Prayer Lunch on Wednessday. Linvoy Primus gave his testimony which I found inspiring and good to hear. It's a pity Peter and Gareth decided not to come (that and they had to pay for their dinners). Anyhoo, aftet Linvoy's talk I walked back home, for some of the way Ceryn and Andrew walked with us, after that I walked Emma and Cilla home. While walking home on my own, holding my coat in one arm and the bag of free stuff in the other, looking behind me incase there were people running after me again. I saw a man. I saw lots of people that night but there was something different about him, he was holding a shopping bag and walking very slowly, looking at walls a lot. He reminded me of when I was in year 7 at school and had nothing better to do with my time than hunt for pennies. I suddenly realised that he was probably not doing overly well. I stopped next to him and asked "Are youy hungry sir?". With a slightly depressive and gruff voice, likely from sleeping outside a lot he repled "Stavin'". He was not aggressive, he was not mean, he was just a poor old man who had probably eaten less than me today. I handed him the bag and bade him farewell. I sadly did not have a Christian tract to put in the bag and for some reason, words escaped me (yeah, we all know how rare an occurrence that is) and I walked off. I hope he does okay, the bag contained 4 or so bits of bread (quite nice bread) and about 8 kebab sticks of Chicken (though apparently they had fish in them too but I never tasted that). I think that's probably the best used Free Food I was ever given. I got home and began updating my CV. The Filemaker group emailed me saying they would like a copy of my CV. This is all well and good but my CV isn't really geared towards a programming job, for some reason places like Asda and Tesco are not impressed by the ability to program in 9 different languages or any abilities I might have at designing Database systems. Hang on, wasn't the title of the entry something about a sensetive side? Well, I didn't give the guy the food because of emotional reasons, he logically needs it more than me, I still have stuff left over from Freshers Fayre!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teifion... there is nothing wrong with having a sensitive side and admitting that you have emotions! God gave us emotions - we all have them whether you will admit that or not!! And, just for possible future use girls prefer guys to be open about their emotions... no one likes someone that can't talk about sensitive things!

Teifion said...

I know, I know. I just figured it would be more interesting to say that.

Emz said...

Sarah, I've been trying to tell him the same thing for ages. Glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks this about emotions :D

I'm really happy that you gave the homeless man the food, it was really kind and generous of you ^^

Major Look said...

Next time you see the homeless guy, tell him it is his turn to give you something - that would be interesting ;-)

Teifion said...

I don't think that would be very funny...

Brett Jordan said...

There's nothing in the Bible that says you have to include tracts with every gift you give people. Sometimes it is good just to do good things without people thinking you only did it trying to convert them. Oh, and be careful about that Mr Look's advice, it is often VERY dodgy :-)

your ever-luvvin' uncle brett

Marcia said...

Yes, I agree; not every gift needs to be accompanied by a lesson. Very often the gift itself is lesson enough. A simple act of charity can speak volumes.