The blog has now moved!

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

I win! - Wednesday

Early morning lecture was nothing special. I noticed today that REALBasic the language that I learnt first took loads of stuff from Java. So to recap, Java has syntax similar to C which I learnt last year, it's also similar to PHP which I do as a hobby. Java works in a way similar to REALBasic which I can still remember really easily and therefore, Java becomes pretty simple for me to understand. After the lecture I got some stuff from Tesco and sat down in the Anglesea building and wrote some more of the database for WoA, currently the name that's winning the vote is "Phil". Yeah, you can tell we're a mature and serious bunch of people. The midday lecture was much much better than the last, infact, it was the best lecture of the day. No, it wasn't cancelled, don't be silly, that'd not make it better than a Java lecture. No, the lecturer is not overly good at explaining himself. Those who were reading last year might recall me not being happy about a certain lecturer in a lab, well, he's lecturing me and made a rather serious mistake on one of his slides. Here's roughly how it went. Lect: And that's the answer to that Chris: How did he do that, I think he made a mistake Me (Mubling to myself): Chris, I think you're right, that's the wrong answer, Gareth, Chris, what'd you get? Gareth: I think he might be wrong Chris: He's wrong Lect: And on this slide we have *insert stuff about Digital Communications here* *I raise my hand* Lect: Yes, what is your question? Me: Could you go back a slide, there's something I really don't understand *Lecturer goes back a slide to what is basically a tree diagram, most of the class sigh because they think I'm being stupid* Me: That there, that's not meant to be "11111", it should be "01111" by my reasoning, how did you get "11111"? Lect: You follow this green line I put on it Me: But that green line is wrong, it can't move there because that's not actually a connection Lect: I have answered your question, onto the next slide *Class mumbles some more, they have noticed I was right* I didn't push it any further because it'd have been rude and maybe the lecturer was impatient to get on with the lecture. Seeing as we finished 5 minutes early I decided to ask again at which point he said "It is up to you to see if there is a mistake, if there is a mistake it's for you to find out." Now, it might just be me but I'm pretty sure he should tell us if his lecture slides contain mistakes, they are something we're meant to use for revision. However, I'm not actually going to take it anywhere as it's quite possibly a one off, I don't think it is but I belive in giving the benefit of the doubt. After this I walked over to Siän and Ceryn's house (no, I did not take any flowers, do I look/sound/read like the sort of person who'd buy flowers?) for the Prayer Meeting. I got there a little early but it was okay, I talked to Siän and Ceryn while drinking Lemonade and eating cookies (all of which I'd brought). Justin, Steve, Jo and Lizzie arrived later. Jo brought a new Lady called Celestia. We had some pringles and cookies along with some tea and did some praying. After the Prayer Lunch I walked Celstia to her halls (she didn't know the way back), Siän was going to the library so came along too. I didn't think that maybe it was a waste of time me going too seeing as Siän could have just walked Celestia back, I like to think that it was because Ladies like following me around but some small voice in my mind tells me otherwise. I got back home and did some Java and WoA stuff. Mostly WoA stuff. I messed around with Xcode a bit more, I looked at how to make a screensaver. I came up with the idea for a screensaver that scrolls lines of computer code across the screen, after a search revealed there wasn't one I looked into how hard it would be to create one. I don't know how to make it yet but I think I have what I need to learn how to. I also got a rather nice email from one of the lecturers about the SSCC meeting we had a while back and the rep for the department. There are 5 departments on this page, each gets a special rep that meets in the next level of SSCC meetings. I was one of three people up for voting, the other two are 3rd year, one Guy, one Lady. I won the vote, why? Well, that's just what happens when you pray for stuff. If God agrees with it, it's going to happen one way or another, take Sunday Night Live for example. Overall, it's been a good day. And yes, I am being careful about what I put up on my blog about the lecturer, due to copyright reasons I'd not be able to show you the slide that was used and I take care not to mention the lecturer by name so only people inside the Uni will know who it is. More importantly, I don't distort the truth or in any way say something false.

4 comments:

Emz said...

Hmm, lets hope he doesn't make too many mistakes :S It is his job after all to teach you what you need to know, *correctly*

Yay you got voted as a rep! Go you! :D

As for ladies following you, they'd be hard pushed to unless they're as tall as you, you walk fast :P (I had enough trouble keeping up with you and Naff in Swansea :P)

Teifion said...

I now walk even faster (it's to keep from overheating, when you're as hot as me you get these sorts of problems :P)

Marcia said...

Lecturers don't like it when you point out their mistakes. =( I applaud you for doing so.

Doesn't walking fast actually make you hotter?

Teifion said...

If you walk fast enough the wind will brush over you and take away heat, of course, it's a right pain when you have to stop