The blog has now moved!

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Annoying Day - Tuesday

It's more the timetable of today than anything. Up early early early for my 0900 Java lecture. The class is either not paying attention to what the lecturer says, sleepier than last time or just stupider (likely a combination of the first two). Long story short, I answered 70% of the questions myself, the room had approximately 100 students in it. I think it'll be quite interesting to see what happens to most of them when they realise that the basics we are going over really are cruical to what they need to do. After the lecture I went to the library with Luke and we both got a book out on Java. Specifically it's the book that the lecturer recomends and there were only two of them. That's the reward for being proactive and going to the library right after the lecture it's mentioned. Like Chris, Luke is not overly keen on programming but is eager to learn, thus more than making up for a lack of present knowledge, I find it so much nicer talking to people who care. I went home and did some more database stuff for WoA, currently we're thinking of calling the DB "Phil", there's a competition going on but if you're not a registered member you can't vote and at the end I will look to see who voted so as to watch for people trying to cheat the system. Talking about cheating, if I had cheated the Google Ads by clicking them myself I'd still have them, as it was I apparently generated too few clicks and have been removed from the system. So, no more Google Ads, they were not making me a lot of money ($3 on average for the last few days). I went in for the Software Systems lecture and it was okay. Then I went home again. I did some more WoA stuff and went back into Uni for my Digital Electronics lecture, then, right after that was another Software Systems lecture. At the start of it, Tom came up to me and asked if he'd missed anything important, I told him no, then told him to go away. Cruel? Not when you take into account that he constantly asks stupid questions of the lecturer and is not fun to sit next to in a lecture. For instance, in the Software Systems lecture we were told specifically that the system we were looking at would not touch the payroll. Tom suggested things that were payroll based three times. After the lecture I went to Tesco and splashed out nearly no money by buying Tesco value Dolphi... I mean, Tesco Value Tuna. I also got some Tesco value Pot Noodles (they're 30p a pack, so I got one of each of the two flavours I thought I'd like) to see what they're like. Then I noticed that they were selling massive scotched eggs at two for 19p, the only catch being they were a day away from going out of date. On the way back home I met some Lady in the street from Sightsavers, she spent a while talking to me about sightsavers and the amazing stuff they do. I informed her that a student is a bad choice of target as they're actually in debt and not normally up for giving to charities. Sadly, I only realised after it was too late what I should have said...           What I should have said... How long will this take? 5 Minutes? In that case I will give you 5 minutes of my time for you to tell me about Sightsavers if you will give me 5 minutes of your time for me to tell you about the Lord Jesus Christ and how he can save your soul. Once I got back, had dinner and watched some American Dad with my housemates. I then messed around with WoA and PHP. I spent a while getting it to work but I now use a new program to edit PHP files (of which I use a lot of). Apple have their own programming suite called Xcode, it's pretty spiffy but doesn't help with PHP. Well, with a plugin it does. It's what I'll be using to write my Java in (because it's got autocompletion and likely some other helpful features). In other good news, the computer I'm planning on getting just had it's performance power increased by up to 39%, basically I'll be getting more than I first thought, not at all bad! PS. Sorry for the late post, I saved it as a draft by mistake.

1 comments:

Emz said...

I think the main reason you didn't get enough clicks is because some of them were so weird we'd rather take a screen capture for the competition. :P

As for the dolphin/tuna thing it reminds me of an advert I saw once where all these people eating stuff with tuna in it, that wasn't dolphin friendly, were bleeding, because they were chewing glass. Lovely huh? I'm sure it was school who showed us that...