The blog has now moved!

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

I'm tired - Tuesday

I got to sleep at about 0200 this morning. Under normal circumstances this would be a bad thing, I have 0900 starts most of the time. Today was sadly a normal day. I knew that I'd have trouble being awake so I set my alarm for 0650 and then moved all volume controls well out of the way of my bed. As a second thought I also got lots of stuff ready for when I got out of bed, such as clean clothes. That was a the plan. At 0700 I was trying to work out why very hot water doesn't wake you up instantly after only 5 hours sleep. After getting dressed I had a short kip, to ensure I didn't actually fall asleep I sat in the most uncomfortable position I could. It worked and by the time I turned up for my 0900 math lecture I was very very awake. If you look back three or four weeks you'll find that I actually missed a math lecture because I was so tired. The strange thing is that I've had less sleep this time. From this survey I draw the conclusion that getting up early is a good idea if you've got an early start. Otherwise just waking up early is enough. Maths in two weeks time will be worrying, we have advanced Trigonometric Integration, yay. After the maths I sat down and talked to Brian Dyer about REALBasic. He teaches foundation year students basic programming languages to give them an idea of what it's all about. He needed something that was able to do lots and easy to write. It turns out that REALBasic is acutally too powerful and simple, it'll not teach much. The Computing lecture was nothing special, though seeing Tom walk in 15 minutes late and then realise he had to walk ALL the way to the other side of the room for a seat made me smile. I know that it's not nice to smile at that, but to be honest, I'm not that fussed. He knew we had a lecture, it was at 1100 so he had plenty of time and he's late to almost every lecture I see him in. Anyway, enough about Tom. I spent the next hour mostly playing Marathon in-between trying to see if David Ndzl was in his office (he wasn't). B122 was a little boring. About halfway through the lecture my lack of sleep decided that because I was bored it'd tell me to shut my eyes. I managed to keep the eyes open, but alas, my brain became fogged and I didn't manage to get good notes. Feeling as I was an understanding none of the maths while awake I decided to go home early. On the way to the bus I saw David Ndzl and so spent a while talking to him instead. We actually talked for an hour, mostly about his plans for the ECE KTG and how it'll help students. After getting back I played (yet more) Marathon and did the standard WoA stuff. It's hotting up and the conclusion round is soon. Some people from my course have said they'd like to have a team next game. Unfortunatly they've failed to take heed of the fact that they have to have experiance of the game before they're allowed to start a team (we've got lots of people wanting to start teams) and decided not to start playing about a month ago when I suggested it. Ah well. I spent the evening getting onto the fourth level of Marathon Infinity (though I did bump the difficulty down on the second level from "Total Carnage"). I also carried on with the website for the ECE KTG thing. We're meeting tomorrow (Gareth and Chris are comming too which'll be good for them) and David Ndzl said that I should have stuff by the end of the week to show the person. I Figured that tomorrow is a good choice.

Coaches The 0830 bus drops me off at the stop I like at around 0850. Today at 0855 we were stuck in a traffic jam a good distance away (and so all got off early) because a coach was blocking a lane in the road. I can accept that it may have been broken down (if it wasn't I think people would have been annoyed) but there was a side road just meters from it and the driver wasn't even trying to get someone to tow the coach a little way for him. I emailed the company and they're going to talk to the driver. Yeah, I realise that this isn't of staggering interest to most people, but if you word emails the correct way, companies listen.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

it doesnt matter how much sleep you've had the previous night, it depends on whether it was 'good' sleep or not

Teifion said...

I'm assuming you're reffereing to the ammount of time spent in deep sleep. Well, deep sleep becomes longer as you sleep for longer. Chances are there wasn't much deep sleep happening.

I also think that the long period of sleepiness after waking up was because I woke up in deep sleep :(

sparkly shoes said...

waking up in deep sleep (stages 3, 4 or REM) does cause you to feel groggy throughout the rest of the day. You feel most refreshed when you wake up from stages 1 or 2 (this is when you are more likely to wake up naturally). This is the premise that sunrise alarm clocks use - the 'sunlight' is more likely to wake you up in stages one or two, and the 'sunlight' encourages you to go into those stages.

Anonymous said...

Well sparkly shoes, if I dont have an alarm on, i wake at about 11am, so i reckon sunlight clocks are a waste of time. And if they really worked, we would only get a few hours sleep in the summer as there is only a few hours of darkness

sparkly shoes said...

sunlight clocks also have noise
they don't jsut use the light, the light is to persuade your body to go into the lighter stages of sleep (are you in deep sleep til 11am or do you wake up vaguely and then doze off again?) so that when the alarm goes off you aren;t as groggy when you wake up