The blog has now moved!

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Rushed day - Tuesday

I meant to turn up to my math lecture, I really did. However, lots of late nights are building up and I overslept, I think my music was too quiet too (tough cookies Sam, it's going up). I managed to race at full speed into Uni on my bike. It's back tire is slightly flat and the brakes need some jiggling with a screwdriver but it works and that's the key thing. After the talk from Sir David Brown (chairman of Motorolla) I raced back to halls, grabbed lunch and a breather. Packed up the computer and got the bus into Uni. The B122 lecture wasn't too hard at all, I took notes on the computer and found that the afternoon math lecture was cancelled. I sat with some others and copied out stuff from this morning, while listening to Rick tell us some more stuff (like how easy it is to get into the general Area 51 location). I also made a new, flashy image for my timetable. Now I know what my days look like. Remember that you need to allow a half hour before and after each lecture, sometimes more. And of course, any single squares of grey between two colours I'll be staying in town. David May was somewhat less interesting this time around, not sure why but he was. At the start he asked for someone to say why they were studying Electronic Engineering. I would have happily said yes and done it, but I'd have come across bigheaded. I told Howard after the lecture why and I don't know that he believed my story (about Bill Gates and the free computer). Still, his opinion isn't very important in that area so I'm not losing any sleep over it. After getting back and checking on WoA I got the bus to the Union. I helped set some stuff up and overall a good number of people turned up for the Curry. Maybe a decent number will appear tomorrow lunchtime (Talk on why Christianity is the right Religion). I was surprised that one person who'd said they'd turn up didn't. They know who they are, they read the blog but I'm not embarising them publically (that'd be unhelpful to say the least). Maybe they'll come along to the lunchtime one tomorrow. Free food (it's nice) in the Function room in the Union at 1300. Be there. As for Thursday I won't be there, I'll instead be getting paid to eat food, as I walk around as a tour guide. I like my new timetable, it means I don't miss any lectures (just an hour or setting stuff up for the tour that day). Now, it's late so I'm off to bed.

Random fact of the day Why do some people say that they're going to come along to the talks and argue, then not even show up? I'd say fear, but not in the normal sense that you'd think. Anybody that is passionate about something will speak well on it, Sir David Brown said that passion is an important quality in anything you do. No, I feel that it is because they fear their arguments will not stand and they will be left with no choice. To those people, I say, are you really looking, or are you just making a fasion statment?

4 comments:

Mum said...

Re the tour: I hope you have learned some interesting things about Portsmouth so you can tell them about more than the train station, Asda and McDonalds :)

We will have to look out that photo of Bill

Unknown said...

No, I feel that it is because they fear their arguments will not stand and they will be left with no choice.

And that is exactly why I like to ask questions, because I want to know if my arguments stand up. I heard something the other day that was interesting and sorta related to the topic. "People don't believe because they don't want to believe." Oh how true.

Anonymous said...

"Why do some people say that they're going to come along to the talks and argue, then not even show up? I'd say fear, but not in the normal sense that you'd think. Anybody that is passionate about something will speak well on it, Sir David Brown said that passion is an important quality in anything you do. No, I feel that it is because they fear their arguments will not stand and they will be left with no choice. To those people, I say, are you really looking, or are you just making a fasion statment?"

Or maybe they were just ill. And what bill gates and the free computer story?

Teifion said...

Or maybe they were just ill.
Possibly, but they didn't tell anybody about it and I saw them in Uni the next day, can't have been that badly affected. Still, I'd rather they not turn up then leave and feel bad about themselves.