The blog has now moved!

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

B101, part 2 (B102) - Tuesday

Today was a busy busy day. Ignoring Sam's whinging that yesterday my music is too loud in the mornings I set it to wake me up. It's that or a buzzing noise that goes off constantly until I get up, your choice Sam. That said, he dug himself a hole tonight when he said he can just drown it out with neighbours. I got the 0830 bus into Uni and turned up for my Maths lecture (Engineering Analasis). It didn't help that I was very tired and had had less than 7 hours sleep. The room was warm and despite a lot of effort, I yawned a lot. I know that on the time table it says I have another Maths lecture there, that's only if I've got a specific problem with the work. It was also not on this week. Myself and Sam (not from the CU) walked around and chatted about Othello. I had a mug of squash at James Watson halls, they're BIG. Apparently you can have something close to 700 people in them. The Computing Lecture (programming C) was not really very intersting. Brian Dyer went over how we were meant to do stuff in the test and pretty much taught me nothing new. Though it was probably useful for a lot of people so I'm not saying it was a bad idea. Two things of interest, next week the Chairman of Motorolla will be speaking for the first half hour. He asked particuarly to speak to the students on his visit to Portsmouth University. I also found that the Othello project is a group project. Myself, David, Peter and Gareth are forming a team and this means it can only be easier to write the AI. After Computing there was another hour before a nice block of lectures. Myself, David, Peter, Aaron and Carlos all got lunch and chatted to each other. We met Rick and talked to him about the army and suchlike. He's quite interesting and tells stories well. Now, for the very astute of you you'll have noticed that the time table says I have 4 hours in A2.6. Yes, I had four hours in one room. The first was with Branislav. He's quite an interesting lecturer, and for some reason none of the staff could spell his name so that gave him the email bob@uni-email-address (I'm not giving out his actual email here). Right after that was more maths. I was somewhat more awake and so could actually help out Chris and Rick with some problems they had. Though I did need to ask the lecturer several things first. For those that are not in the know, B101 was THE most pathetic subject, it was a waste of time and University resources. So finding that I had a 2 hour lecture on B102 (B101 for semester 2) at this time urged me to sit near the door. If it was really a waste of time I could leave early and get to dinner at 1700. The speaker was David May. He's been in lots of companies and was an excellent speaker. He stopped the lecture half an hour early (probably realised how exhausted everyone was). I went up to him at the end of the lecture and said that I'd really enjoyed it and would be sitting in the front row next week. I meant every word of it. Gareth and Myself decided to run to the first stop on the bus return. It was further away and a risk, but it would garuntee us seats. We managed it (by about 10 or so seconds) and grinned at the faces of our classmates who had no idea of how we were already on. (Well, they figured out after a second, but the initial reaction is what counts). Dinner was not as good as I'd have liked. Marissa noticed that my hair was spiked up and asked if I'd somehow gelled it and somehow made the gell not visible. After confirming from her that the hair was better (I'd have been happy with any honest answer) I explained my cunning plan. After washing, just rub the towel all over the hair and it sticks up for the rest of the day. Now I just need a way to remove the spots. After dinner I played with and against Gareth on Time Splitters, Area 51 and also Splinter Cell. Then went back and went to bed. Not sure if it's worth going to the 0900 lecture tomorrow. I've got a very very good idea of what's in the course and not going will mean I'm more awake for the 1000-1200 lecture. Misha Filip is the head of Department (Or it's head of School) and from what I've seen of him he's a very serious sort of person. I've also got a lot of respect for him already, at the SSCC meeting he was very much on the student's side when it came to our needs.

Random Item of the Day Tom has gotten worse since last semester. He's still asking stupid questions (so far I've not had a chance to ask any questions myself) and also turning up late for lectures. I'm wondering what his odds of passing this semester by very much are.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a big mug of squash if you could fit 700 people in it. Or are they just very small people?

Also, you moan about Tom not turning up for lessons, and yet in the paragraph above you told us (your loyal blogreaders and people with too much time on their hands) that you were considering not attending a lecture this morning! Disgraceful..

A concerned brother

Coel

Brett Jordan said...

It must be lovely to have a little brother who is so concerned for you Teifion.

A sincere Uncle

Brett

Teifion said...

Yeah, it's truely delightful. There's a reason I didn't turn up to that lecture. Several actually. I'm refering to Tom not turning up to important ones, and those he does, asks stupid questions.

Anonymous said...

i found it most entertaining that he sat through the whole b102 lecture with his new top's price tag label hanging out for nearly 2 hours! Very funny stuff. Oh how i love immaturity!

Anonymous said...

It's your first year. You could pass it without turning up to anything.