The blog has now moved!

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

How I used to recite the Periodic Table - Wednessday

Seeing as nothing much will be happening most days I shall instead tell tales (all true) about myself and also present thoughts on certain things if I can't think of a story. Todays story is about how I came to recite the Periodic Table and made money out of it. It's not the greatest story ever but it'll do for now. Reciting the Periodic Table It all started way way back in primary school, I think I was about 8. I for reasons I can't remmeber became fascinated with the Periodic Table. For those not in the know, there are over 100 elements, most with such easy to remember and pronounce names as Rubidium, Neptunium and Seaborgium. I wrote all of them down (up to 103 which is where my table at the time went up to) and began learning them and a little about them. I recall one school walk to somewhere I spent the whole hour or so simply reading (out loud) from the small book. I've no idea where the book is now. I continued this practice until sometime in secondary school. There people actually knew what the table was and needed to learn the first twenty elements. I at that point could recite up to 90+ of them. I would walk around the tables in the dinner hall and recite the table for money. I made at least £10 in a week, which, when I was in my first year of secondary school, is a good bit of money. The headmaster and other heads sit at a table on the stage and so unsurprisingly saw me. I assume they asked someone what I was doing because I was told to not recite the table for money any more. What did I do then? Well, there's this thing called the Greek alphabet...

Other people's snores I, while at home, sleep in the same room as Coel. I take a long time to get to sleep in almost any situation. This means that people, such as Coel, fall asleep before me. I must say that some of the noises he makes are very interesting, half of them sound as if he's choking to death as quietly as possible. All scores are based on the fact that I'm half-way to sleep (well, was) and it's otherwise silent. It's also pitch black because we don't sleep in the light. Annoyance Factor - 9 Weirdness Factor - Between 5 and 10 Volume Factor - 7 Ease of Creation - Between 0 and 10 Average - 7.125

2 comments:

Mum said...

it was £20

Teifion said...

No, I'm sure it was no more that £15. I'd love to exagerate, but that'd be rude.