The blog has now moved!

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The Achillies Heel of a Web Designer - Tuesday - 15th of November

I'm rather glad I went to my first lecture for 0900, it was puring with rain and chilly by even my standards. I was of course wearing shorts (nobody seems to get that it's easier and not cold in shorts). I took great pleasure in waving to the people on the bus (one of whom normally cycles) as I sailed past them. The lecture was Internet Apps and again, we were discussing stuff. The Lecturer was explaining about good layout, specifically where links should go on a page. We were in a BIG room, the one with 200+ capacity, though there was more like 100 people in there. Firstly he went to Microsoft.com, I thought it was okay but he said it really wasn't (too many links on the front page). The Portsmouth website was really bad (links all over the place), then, his website. I'm not sure if it was intentional, but it really wasn't very good (he said so himself). Then he went to the Uni forums, and scrolled down. I saw one of my posts come up, I knew it was mine because it's got a Apple logo in the signature and a picture of me for the Avatar, he looked at me and said. 'Can I use your site for the lesson?" I of course said 'Sure, go for it'. 100 people saw the nice CSS layout, in IE! He switched to firefox and they saw what a real browser could do, 100 people saw the nice rollovers (no javascript, all CSS), 100 people saw the page change colour based on where he was on the site (colour coded readme). 100 people also saw him click on the only link that was broken, ONE link on the whole site, I'm sure of it, one link..... Still, I corrected the link in 60 seconds and told him to go back at the end of the lecture. Maths is going to be intersting, we have advanced Trig for the next test, definatly going to need to revise it. Prof Cripps' lecture was amusing as always, as promised, we started everyone clapping (all 8/10 of us at the back corner) at the end of a paragraph. I cycled back (it wasn't raining which was nice), showered, dried off, did some basic organisation of my bookmarks and some PHP experimentation. Myself and Jack sat down with Briley and Lorna for an hour or so for dinner. We're all looking forwards to the weekend away. Of note on my cycle home was one near hit, I was doing a good 15mph+ down a slight hill (yeah, they do exist here) and someone decided that they and a group of people should all walk out in front of me (while the lights were green for me). I managed to get within centimeters of the guy at the back and yell at the top of my lungs 'OI, WATCH IT'. He almost jumped out of his skin, I need an air horn, as such it's gone on my Christmas list. I got back to my room, did some more PHP, wrote the blog, chatted to some people on MSN. Of interest there was talking to a Mrs Svärd through her husband (I've yet to find out why she didn't want to use the keyboard herself).

Lesson of the Day - Sacring stupid peds is fun

2 comments:

Major Look said...

Typical huh - one dead link out of a hundred good ones, and the lecturer had to find it! Had he browsed the site earlier to look?

What did he say about the overall design and use of CSS?

Also - I would like to visit Portsmouth to catch some of the 'puring' rain - does this mean it makes a noise as it falls, similar to an almost happy cat (puring = half happy, purring = totally happy).

:-)

Teifion said...

He was only looking at the links, however he had already seen the site before and commented that it was fairly good.

Dyslexia = Spelling Mistakes, get over it :P