The blog has now moved!

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Yay, boo, yum, umm, uhh and WOO!

Yay I had an 0900 lecture on Java Programming, Ioannis is the very cool lecturer that teaches it. I planned to be there on time. Gareth and I waited for the bus and it was full. We managed to get to the lecture in 15 minutes from the bus stop, I'm estimating it to be maybe 2km in distance, we did a fair bit of jogging and fast walking. We got there about a minute late and I sat at the front (I planned to anyway, I was going to be answering questions). I got my chance, Ioannis put something about Java on the screen, saying that there should be a word or phrase there we didn't understand. Ioannis: Who has spotted it? *nobody says anything, I knew what it all meant but I've done this type of programming before, most of the class haven't so I don't want to spoil the learning experiance* Ioannis: So you all understand this? *I nod my head* Ioannis: You're nodding your head like a duck again Me: No, this would be nodding like a duck *nods like a duck* Ioannis: Okay, nod like you did the first time, I assume you mean that you understand every single part of this paragraph? Me: Yep Ioannis: Anybody else? *two other people put their hands up, Gareth is one of them* Ioannis: Right, you *points to me* can tell everybody what it means *I give a textbook answer* Ioannis: Yes, that is the correct answer... I get the idea he assumed I'd not know the answer. Good thing I still remember that Java Crash Coruse I attended last year (even though it was meant for 2nd years). Anyhoo, I enjoyed the lecture and completely understood all the Java notes Ioannis displayed. Most of the class seem uninterested in responding at all, which is good for me because it'll mean I learn more :) After the lecture I went to Tesco to get some drinks for the CU prayer lunch, checked my bank balance to see if the Student Loan has come in (it has indeed, that student offer of a Macbook for £650 is quite enticing but I'm okay with what I have). Actually, I did some research (about 3 minutes ago) into it. This is the page showing the Macbooks. I think that for £650 I can get the one that normally costs $1099. Here's the funny part, that's apparently £591.879, I'm assuming I've got the wrong number somewhere... Boo My Networks lecture was deadly boring and the lecturer said umm so many times it was worrying. He's the one that was in one of the labs and I had to complain about. Fun times ahead for that unit for sure! Luckily there is a second lecturer covering the other half of the unit. Yum The Prayer Lunch was shortly afterwards. The food was very tasty (who'd have thought that Lidl sold such nice sausage rolls!) and the Prayers just as good. Afterwards I walked home and did some WoA stuff. The database part of it I've been working on for a while was almost completed before I had to move on to the next part of the day. Umm I went over to Lorna's and so did Steve H, we got started on the actual design of the CU website. Steve H is very good at avoiding work, I ended up doing the work myself (not a problem, I know what I'm doing, Steve doesn't do as much web design) but it wasn't overly tricky. Steve and myself (mostly Steve) fixed Lorna and Brierley's internet connections too. Uhh I got back home at about midnight and carried on working on the WoA Research Database. It was the last little bit. I'd made it so you could log on, select the lists, select techs from said lists, it'd then show the techs you chose and work out discounts for various things, then the final page. But, I was beset by difficulties, two key bits of text which contained all the key information refused to line up properly and it took me an hour to get it right. Still, it all works now and I know that when you repeatedly make something bigger 250 times rather than re-setting it each time, it might be that that's causing the problem. WOO! The database now works, there are likely some minor problems. I've anticipated as many as I can think of and laid down the challenge to the users to break it. There's more to do but the key part of it is done. In other good news, I have a grand total of 0 lectures tomorrow! Sorry for the long blog, I hope most of it was at least interesting enough that you didn't fall asleep and break your nose on the table...

4 comments:

Mum said...

Enjoy your day off Thursday.

On another topic do any of your lecturers have blogs so we can see what they thought of that person sitting in the front row making them so nervous that they kept saying "errm" ?

Major Look said...

"ouch" My dose is broken!

Emz said...

Enjoy your day off :)

Wo0+! The database works!

But I don't have a clue how to use it...*shrugs* I'll learn in the due course of time I'm sure :P

Yay you're getting along well with Ioannis!

I might have to nick that "Prayer Works" avvie from you! :D

Teifion said...

I will ask if the lectuers have blogs and if they do, I'll link to them ;)

The Database thing will have a tutorial soon, in the meantime I was hoping it'd be mostly obvious what you have to do :P