The blog has now moved!

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Better Lectures - Tuesday

I got up later than I meant to, though, I have a blocked up nose so I need my sleep. I had an 0900 lecture which myself and Gareth got to 1 minute late. The Lecturer was quite funny and made jokes at most things, he appears to encourage class discussion on subjects. He even mocked me! Lecturer: Who here agress? *I nod my head* Lecturer: You there *points to me* why are you bobbing your head like a duck, is there something wrong with you? *laughter from the class* Me: No, I'm just nodding in agreement Yeah, I wasn't going to let him get away with that one. Later on he asked a question I knew the answer to quite well. More importantly, I could be punny! Lecturer: What is a thread? (he meant in programming terms) Me: It's a bit of string! *laughter from the class* Lecturer: You're not allowed to talk anymore I talked to him after the lecture and he assured me it was just a joke and he was happy for me to answer more questions, he apparently jokes about most things. I see his lecturers looking like some of the most interesting, handy seeing as it's apparently one of the worst units in the department. The unit? Programming (my favourite). I walked back home, had some toasted Sandwiches, did some WoA stuff and walked back in. Software Systems is all about taking a problem and turning it into code, this smells to me to be something I should be good at, I've got experiance at it. After that lecture my timetable said I had a 3 hour break, it was infact a 2 hour break. Aaron was driving home so gave me a lift, he drives right past my house on the way home, very handy. I made a start on some more Database stuff then went back into Uni, Aaron drove past me and gave me a lift (the timing was excellent). He had to pay in some money for his society so I waited for him while he did that, then we went to the Digital Electronics lecture. We've got Hassan again, and this time I'm going to make more of an effort to answer questions and ask them. Hassan came up with a nickname for me... Hassan: How do we shorten this equation? *equation gets shortened by someone else, I had however already done it* Hassan: Now, the ne *I wave my hand and get his attention* Hassan: What is it? Me: Couldn't you shorten it moreso if you did this... *I explain how* Hassan: Yes, good plan Batman, you could do it like that. Actually, your name is probably not Batman but I'll call you that. And he did. But, I give you... Man not caring. After that lecture we had another Software Systems lecture (sadly quite dull) and then Aaron drove me home as it was on the way to his house. Myself, Gareth and Lauren went over to Lorna's house. Pete was there already trying to fix their internet, we fixed it and left. Lorna seemed quite tired. For dinner we had a Domino's Pizza, saving ourselves a good bit of money with one of the gazillion vouchers I'd picked up from Freshers Fayre (not shown in the pictures). I then did more database stuff. Looking back at what I did in 6th form is quite amusing, for instance, Emma is doing Key Skills IT and was asking for help, when she said she'd be doing advanced stuff I assumed it was a database and so did she. Turns out that "advanced" is considered to be an excel spreadsheet. Tomorrow I've got an 0900 start (Java Programming, so it's not all bad) and then a two hour break. I plan to use that time to check on my student loan stuff. I'm glad that my lectures are more interesting this time around, it probably makes the blog more interesting.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Without looking at your timetime i can make an educated guess that your programming lecturer is Ioannis Kagalidis, and he absolutely rocks! I still hated programming but he made it more interesting.

Teifion said...

It is indeed Ioannis (how on earth is that actually pronounced). This morning's lecture was most interesting.

Anonymous said...

re. pronouncing 'ioannis' - you pronounce all the vowels, with the 'i' pronounced as a 'y'... so 'yo-ann-is'

technically, ioannis, like every noun in greek, is declined. hence, in the nominative 'i am ioannis', but in the genitive, accusative, appelative etc, 'i am ioanni'

hope that helps :-)

Anonymous said...

Of course, shouting out 'YO, Annie' in certain social situations could cause tensions,especially if you were intending to use the nominative!

Teifion said...

Yoannis it is :D

Now how about his surname Kagalidis, I'm assuming similar rules would apply?

Emz said...

There is a database involved, just not at this moment in time :D

Right now I have to do the spreadsheet, the database comes in later, when exactly and for what I don't have a clue. Spose the air of uncertainty makes it more interesting.

"Curiouser and curiouser," said Alice...

Anonymous said...

I used to say Yann-iss and kagga lee dis, and he didnt seem to mind at all. It's not pronounced yo ann iss