The blog has now moved!

Monday, October 09, 2006

Lecture! - Monday

I got up latish, did some WoA stuff then walked to my first lecture. Formal Computing is all about Logic and Maths I did 4-5 years ago! The only downside was that it is 3 solid hours (yes, we had an extra hour this week). On the plus side the guy is quite interesting and appears to be looking out for our best interests rather than just "being there to teach". I am hoping to get a good result in the unit. After the lecture, myself and Gareth (who has an identical timetable) went to Tesco then home. I listened to some of my 14.6 hours of Christian Worship Music and then went to Immanual Baptist Church. For the first few weeks of Uni we're in there instead of the union building because the Union building runs nightclub sort of stuff. Steve H who knows what he's actually doing with the sound has a lecture from 5 till 6. We start at 7. I therefore arrived at 5:30 to carry loads of equipment upstairs, then I figured out where some of the cables went. Since this'll be happening every week I should actually learn how everything happens this time around! The service was about the Gospel itself and a sort of "back to the basics" type of thing. Huw gave me a sort of birthday present, he's got an excellent idea for the WoA logo and at long last, WoA might actually get a logo! After the service I again carried all the heavy stuff downstairs (I'm not complaining, I'll bulk up if I do this) and then walked to the pub. At the pub I finally beat Lawrence at Chess, it was an excellent game and we both enjoyed it. I then played some game I can't remember the name of. Afterwards I walked some people home. Lizzie, Liz, Jo and Claire were being walked home by Greg and Steve Glen. However, I was going at the same time so I walked some of the way, then Lizzie and Claire walked very far ahead of the others. Even after proving that they were very open for mugging they ignored my advice so in the interests of their saftey I walked them all the way home, Lizzie for some reason got really annoyed about this. I'm seeing three ways to deal with this. 1) Let them walk alone, they're all convinced they'll never get mugged or attacked 2) Walk them home anyway 3) Let them walk home alone and "mug" them several times along the way by running ahead or behind, then sneaking up on them. 1 is out of the question, 3 is a possible but 2 is the current fav. It's worrying, Claire and Lizzie looked behind themselves no more than 10 times on a half hour walk. When I walked from their house to mine, I looked behind myself 10 times a minute. Brierley and Emma who I met on the way back to my house had no problem about being walked back the last part of the way home and even thanked me for it, which I really appriciated. Anyhoo, tomorrow is an 0900 start and it's currently 0045, that'd make today an 0900 start. So, for the gazillions of people that read my blog but never comment, what would you suggest I do about the walking home situation?

7 comments:

Mum said...

I don't think you should force people to be accompanied home - they are old enough to decide if they feel safe enough to go on their own or not.

Glad your first day back went well

Major Look said...

If people have requested you don't do something and are old enough to know the consequences, you need to respect their decision.

You could always follow them about a minute behind if you know their route, and in that way you will not be annoying them, but could be there for backup. However, thi smay make you a 'lone target' for a mugger and then there would be no one around to help you - so most likely best not to follow at all.

You could always ask the girls to text you when they are safely home, and in return yo would not walk them home. (although if they didn't text you, you may get worried).

You could ask them to text you if they get mugged - in that way, you can run over there and help them, but the rest of the time not bother them!

I think those are most of the options which would mean that you were respecting their wishes, yet still looking out for them.

Nice to see you have a caring attitude - the girls are lucky to have you looking out for them (even though they may not see it that way).

Emz said...

1) Everybody thinks the same thing, but it happens anyway. I see your point about this.

2)You could do as your dad says, sounds good. But this may still class as "walking them home" even if you aren't right next to them at the time. Plus they'll probably get annoyed at you if they notice.

3) Will probably make them more annoyed at you. Personally I would't do that. But it might prove a point even further about being mugged.

And as your mum says, they've asked you not to so maybe you should respect that. I know you're worried about them. I don't know what else to suggest apart from leave it for a bit and see how it goes.

Anonymous said...

Major look's mum (and by a strange coincidence, mine as well), used to tell us to 'take care' before we went on a journey.

Seemed to work for us, maybe you could try it as well :-)

your ever-luvvin' uncle

Teifion said...

I must admit that I am leaning towards the idea of letting them make the choice themselves, it does appear to be the general suggestion. On another note, Lizzie did apologise for getting annoyed at me which helps somewhat.

Major Look said...

Another thing - get them to wear sqeaky shoes.In this way, if the squeaks stop - they have been mugged. If you are following a decent distance behind them (unseen) you can leap in and defend them!

Or it could be that they have stopped walking, or they have thrown the shoes away - drat:-(

Another thought - get them to do self defence classes, and then they can walk YOU home!

Teifion said...

I'll try that one :D