The blog has now moved!

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Best train journey ever?

I got up, I was going to be heading home today. The trip involved only one train change and was due to leave at 1130. It was now 0830 and I was cooking palmiers. I also did some packing, always useful huh? I also decided I'd like God to have His input on the matter, so I asked that He be in control of the journey. So, it was all plain sailing right? No. The life of a Christian is not one of luxury and ease all the way. Due to the wonderful work of my parents, I found that my train had been cancelled and that instead of the 1130, I'd get either the 1100 or 1200 from Fratton. Not a problem, I got the 1100. The plan was to get to Salisbury and change to one that was going to Cardiff where I'd then switch to travel to Port Talbort. So far, one extra switch and some time problems. My train got to Fahrem and I was told that I'd have to switch. Oookayyyyy, this wasn't quite what I intended at all, however, I was still busy trusting God to be in control that I didn't bother fretting or worrying in the least. After a brief search I found that God had already provided a train that would go straight to Cardiff. I was the 2nd person on and got a nice table seat where I could put my computer and watch "Over the Hedge". Some young lady sat opposite me. The train left. A few stops later the young lady that was sitting opposite me asked if I could move up because her family were getting on, I can't recall if it was just before or after that that she waved madly at some people on the platform. I of course moved up, dissapointed that I now had to store my backpack at my feet rather than by my side, less leg-room is never a good thing. As it turns out, this event was what made the trip great. To my left sat a Man and a young boy, to the right of the lady opposite me sat a young girl. I simply assumed there might be a little more noise, maybe or maybe not a chance to chat a little, however, I was in the middle of "Over the Hedge" and not really interested in chatting, besides, they were already all talking and butting into a conversation is never a good way to introduce yourself. I noticed a few minutes later that the young boy had a good view of my screen and was intently watching the screen. I asked him if he'd seen the film and he said yes, after chatting for about 30 seconds I offered him a headphone and the option to watch the film with me. The gentleman to my left was a little taken-aback by such friendship. I'll admit, it was not without cost, the sound quality dropped due to having only one earphone, the open ear could now hear other stuff but I could still hear the film. After the film, I started talking to them. The gentleman's name is Pete, he is from Belgium and managed to pronounce my name correctly the first time! Much better that "Teflon" or "Teffion" or even "Bob" (yes, someone called me Bob for a week, someone at the CU). Pete studied as a Mechanical Engineer and now does CAD stuff, we chatted a little about programming, however, most of the time, I chatted to max. There's a nice (ish) picture of him on the left of this paragraph. No, he does look normal, that distortion is intentional, we messed around with my computer a little. I also talked to Ella a little (I'm assuming that's how the name is spelt, very sorry if it's not) and also the young lady opposite me whose name I cannot recall, however, I do remember that she had some awesome shoes/boots that looked like they were designed for arctic wear. There is a picture to the right of Ella and the Lady, again, distortion added by my computer. I offered around the Palmiers and not only did everybody like them (some more of the family were sitting nearby) but they were also impressed that a student could cook, a male student! (I quickly alleviated them of this misconception, I am an atrocious cook) I obviously engaged the children in my own amazing way by losing all pride and self-respect. I challenged both of them to lick their nose and elbow and also gave them my walkers ears (the big red plastic ones that walkers gave away free). They enjoyed the time a lot. Sadly they all had to get off at Bath, however, not long before they left, Pete said something that made me think. "We're hoping that Max will grow up to be a gentleman like yourself, you are a really nice person". I really appreciated this, looking back, it never ever entered my mind to play with the children simply to amuse myself, agreed, I did it because it's fun but also because I know how bored children can get on any journey. The family truly made that part of the trip very enjoyable and I am very glad to have met them. I also mentioned the blog and fanclub to them. The rest of the journey was plain, boring but un-stressful. I met my parents and we went to Tesco, they filled me in on everything that'd happened while I was away. We got back and I enjoyed a lovely cooked meal of pasta stuff from my Father. Beats Tuna-Fish sandwiches any day! I played a game of DotA with Coel and then did various things with the rest of my family related to computers. Overall, it's been a good day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You neglected to mention who won!

Teifion said...

I won, nobody else could lick their nose or elbow.